Sadly after winning the Main Event in 2006 Jamie’s father passed away, having suffered from ALS (more commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease). This prompted Jamie to actively help raise awareness of this condition so that people understood it fully and could help fund research.
Jamie is widely acknowledged to be one of the most active charity fundraisers in the poker industry, indeed in the US as a whole. A supporter for the ALS Division of the MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) and board member of several charitable foundations including Global Creative Forum, Jamie has actively worked to involve celebrities and poker pros in his events with the aim of creating greater awareness of the causes in which he believes.
In 2007 Jamie won the Montel Williams MS Foundation Poker Tournament and gave his entire winnings to the MS Foundation in order to fund the research of this incapacitating neuromuscular disease. Jamie’s efforts have helped to raise over $500 million for causes worldwide.
GLOBAL CREATIVE FORUM
The Global Creative Forum (GCF) is a star-studded Hollywood event convened by HDI that uses cultural foreign policy goals and values by building bridges between the United Nations and the entertainment industry (film, television, music, internet and social media). The GCF’s summit, welcomes the most senior members of the United Nations to Los Angeles to interact with key decision makers in the entertainment industry to discuss world issues and how the Hollywood community can contribute to the solution of those challenges.
The Muscular Dystrophy Association is the world’s leading nonprofit health agency dedicated to finding treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and other neuromuscular diseases. MDA funds worldwide research; provides comprehensive health care services and support to MDA families nationwide; and rallies communities to fight back through advocacy, fundraising and local engagement.
PARTIAL LIST OF EVENTS HOSTED
- Variety Children's Charity at Paramount Pictures
- Yasiel Puig's Second Annual Celebrity Poker Tournament
- One Step Closer Foundation for CP
- Tia's Hope Foundation
- JED Foundation NYC
- Music For Relief
- Habitat for Humanity
- Fourth Annual Variety The Children's Charity - Poker Night -
- Beverly Hills Police and Fireman's Ball
- Bounce NYC Super Bowl Charity Event
- New York Knicks' Alan Houston Foundation Charity
- After-School All-Stars at the Petersen Museum
- City of Hope Poker Night
- Los Angeles Police Memorial Foundation Celebrity Poker Tournament hosted by James Gandolfini
- World Poker Tour Foundation "Playing for a Better World" Inaugural Event
- 2011 Dallas Superbowl charity event for TroopsCo-Host
- Global Creative Forum fundraiser for United Nations
- Sea Paddle Charity New York
- Children’s Institute Inc. Charity Poker Evente
- 4th Annual Monte Carlo Night
- Foundation Charity Event at Poker in the Park
- Sunflower Children's Charity Poker Night at Cannes Film Festival
- Children Uniting Nations: Oscars After-Party Beverly Hilton
- Ante Up For Africa: Sundance
- Road 2 Recovery Charity Poker Tournament
- Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon
- Urban Health Institute’s Celebrity Poker Tournament
- Michael J. Fox Foundation Celebrity Poker Tournament
- Montel Williams MS Foundation Pro-Celebrity Poker Challenge
- Operation: All-In, Randy Couture Charity Poker Tournamente
- Virgin Atlantic Charity Poker Tournament